|GREEN MEETS THE CITY|
Rebstockpark - History with a future
THE REBSTOCK WAS A GOOD ADDRESS ALREADY IN THE MIDDLE AGES!
The first official mention of the Rebstock estate - which was named after its patrician Frankfurt owner family - was in the year 1300.The Rebstock was later inherited by the Domherr Wicker Frosch, who donated the Rebstock to the Katharinenkloster convent that he founded in 1353. Plundering knights from surrounding villages repeatedly threatened the Rebstock during the dangerous times that followed. In 1501 the Pope intervened to protect the Rebstock from its greedy neighbors. The Rebstock Manor house was built in 1788, and subsequently fortified after the aforementioned neighbors resumed their threatening behavior.
The city of Frankfurt leased the Rebstock in 1910 and made it available to the German Airship Transportation company (DELAG).
REBSTOCK "TAKES OFF"!
LZ 127 over the Rebstock airfield 1929
Graf Zeppelin landed for the first time in Frankfurt with his airship "LZ II" on July 31, 1909.
Thousands of spectators cheered so loudly that Graf Zeppelin could not hear the words of greeting from Mayor Adickes. To this day, the Graf Zeppelin memorial near the future Rebstockpark serves as a reminder of his pioneering work. The Rebstock became the home of the flight pioneers. Pilots gathered for the first international flying competition during the "Flyer week" as a part of the "International Airship Exposition" (ILA) in October 1909. The German Airship Transportation company (DELAG) opened the "Airship Harbor Frankfurt" on the Rebstock grounds on March 4, 1912, using the remodeled manor house as headquarters. The festive event was celebrated with the arrival of the dirigible "Viktoria Louise". The "Frankfurt Airport" was opened on the grounds of the Rebstock in August 1926. By 1928, this was the second largest airport in Germany, after Berlin.
Today the Rebstockpark honors the achievements of the flight pioneers with street names, for example, Käthchen Paulus, one of the first women flyers.
Rebstockhof after remodeling of the airport around 1930
A street is named in memory of August Euler, who built an airplane factory on the Rebstock grounds in 1912, after he was awarded the first flying license in 1909, and later started a world famous flying school. Other street names are dedicated to the memories of Bruno Poelke, Max Pruss, Oscar Ursinius, Charles Lindbergh, the Wright brothers, and Colsman. The main boulevard that runs east - west is dedicated to Leonardo da Vinci, who in the 15/16 century studied the possibility of manned flight and constructed the forerunners of the parachute and helicopter. The parallel boulevard is named after the Montgolfier brothers, the inventors of the hot-air balloon.
Since the begining of the 60´s, the Rebstock is dedicated to recreation and free-time activities. In the summer of 1962, the "Rebstock public park" was opened, followed in 1982 by the Rebstock public bathing facility.The heart of the park is the Rebstock pond, which the Department of Public Gardens proudly presented as an example of a gravel pit that did not result in a ecologic travesty. The Rebstock park was partially financed with the sale of the 100,000 cubic meter sand and gravel that was removed to create the pond. The "Frankfurter Rundschau" headline in the summer of 1962 read "Recreation area created from lunar landscape".
The Rebstockbad that has both indoor and outdoor pools was opened in 1982. This completed the Rebstockpark which offers a bathing facility and recreation park harmoniously integrated into a municipal park which is prized by the public!
|Programming: ROESSLER PR Die Agentur für Kommunikation und Digitales Business
http://www.roesslerpr.de * PR agency in Frankfurt on Main, Germany - PR and media relationship specializing in real estate, architecture, facility management
[top of page ^] Rebstock Projektgesellschaft mbH
Rebstock Projektgesellschaft mbH